Two mass shootings in 12 hours guarantees that we will all be talking about guns for the next 12 weeks, at least.
The fact that one of those shootings was apparently carried out by a man who targeted Mexicans means we will also be talking about immigration and white supremacy for the next 12 weeks, and since this is a presidential election season, for the next 12 months and beyond.
And of course we will be talking about gun laws, gun restriction and gun confiscation. You know the left will seize on the murders to talk about how to limit Americans’ access to guns despite the fact that the Second Amendment of the Constitution says specifically that the right of the people to keep and bear arms “shall not be infringed.”
Many fewer people will ask what deeper conditions in America cause our young people to pick up guns and shoot innocent people. They will instead look for scapegoats like President Trump and say that he’s to blame for the shootings. They will say that he created the environment to make some people hate other people. Those of us who are supporters of President Trump know that is nonsense, but we need to be prepared for him and us to be scapegoats. People always look for the easiest answer in a tragedy, and in this case the two easiest answers are “guns” and “white people.”
At the risk of being called names, I’m going to suggest that there might be deeper explanations for the rise in mass murder that have nothing to do with President Trump. Here are five off the top of my head, and leftists will not want to talk about any of them.
- Video Game Violence: We have raised several generations of Americans to think it is OK to spend several hours each day building up their body count by playing games such as Fortnite where the goal is to kill as many people as possible. It should be noted that the “World Cup” championship just took place in the Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York City and paid the winner $3 million. We have glorified killing through video games to an extent impossible to even conceive of a hundred years ago. If we are going to mess with the Constitution, we should take away the right to play sick violent games.
- We Took God Out of the Schools: You reap what you sow, and the American government has sown the seeds of aimlessness and hopelessness among our young people for more than 50 years by telling them that God has no place in the public square. In fact, our only hope to remain a healthy society is to put God at the center of it.
- We Took Civics Out of the Schools: We have encouraged generations of Americans to only care about what education can do for them — how they can use it as a steppingstone to a better job and a bigger pay check. In healthy societies, education is the glue of society as the wisdom of one generation is passed to the next about how to be a responsible citizen. Now, schools are places where children are taught that they live in a sick society, and that their parents failed them.
- Come To Think Of It, Their Parents Really Did Fail Them: In too many families, children make the decisions and parents merely rubber stamp them. Morality has to come from above, not from below.
- Abortion: If you want children to value life, you should first value children. Our society has killed more than 60 million children in the womb since the early 1970s when the government sanctioned abortion as a morally acceptable act of murder.
Bottom line: A sick society produces sick people. If you want to know why we have raised a generation of people who don’t value life and don’t appreciate the gift of life, you can start there. Or you can blame guns.
Frank Miele writes from Kalispell, Montana, at www.HeartlandDiaryUSA.com and is a columnist at Real Clear Politics. My new book is “The Media Matrix: What If Everything You Know Is Fake.” To support my work, please consider buying “The Media Matrix” or my “Why We Needed Trump” trilogy, which documents the downward spiral of the USA before Trump arrived on the scene. The books are available at Amazon in paperback or Kindle editions. Go here for a free sample:https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/sitb/B07PDQBJM4